Last Saturday Night I DJed a 4 hour set of nothing but early 90’s music for The Sparrows first anniversary party. I didn’t play a single song that wasn’t released between 1990 and 1995. I was really strict. Seriously. I really like Head Like a Hole by Nine Inch Nails. No dice, 1989. I also love Debaser by the Pixies. 1989 again. But the Pixies have an album from 1990 called Bossa Nova. I have never listened to this whole album but there is a song on it that I do know an love. I had forgotten how amazing Velouria is. I (like many other people) have seriously ignored the early 90’s.
I have been thinking of the need for 90’s dance parties since my friend Karen Maylone and I discussed the unmined gems of our teenage years 5 or 6 years ago. Being asked to DJ the Sparrows event was a perfect excuse to make one happen.
After a week of researching (Thanks radiohitlist.com) and downloading songs I compiled 15 1/2 hours of early 90’s gold. I’m sure some of it will make it on the podcast at some point but here is my current Top Ten Early 90’s Jams.
10. Ween- Push The Little Daisies (1992)
09. Black Sheep- The Choice is Yours (1991)
08. Matthew Sweet- Sick of Myself (1995)
07. Ministry- Just One Fix (1992)
06. Portishead- Strangers (1994)
05. Stereo MCs- Connection (1992)
04. Pixies- Velouria (1990)
03. Notorious B.I.G.- Juicy (1994)
02. Pulp- Common People (1995)
01. LL Cool J- Mama Said Knock You Out (1990)
Hit up the comments with your favorite early 90’s tracks, I’m still beefing up my arsenal for a future party.