Earlier this year, I finally decided that yes, I like Jay Electronica. I know that this isn’t “stop the presses” news, but I’ve been meaning to come out on this for quite some time now.
If you’re wondering why this is such a big deal, it might have something to do with the fact that… although I’ve been heavily into rap music since 1984, I have never been a fan of any of the popular rappers of the last 20 years (i.e., dudes like 2Pac, Biggie, Jay-Z, Dre, Snoop, Eminem, etc.) So what prompted this decision about Jay Electronica was an exposé that Gilles Peterson did on him back in February 2010.
Prior to listening to this radio special, I didn’t care about Jay Electronica at all. To me, he was just another rapper with a lot of hype surrounding him, and one that all of the hipsters raved about. So naturally, I was turned off… But after listening to this conversation and the songs played throughout the interview, how could anyone not like this dude!?!! This was a very interesting and fascinating interview. You will definitely want to give this a listen:
Tracklist and more after the jump…
1. Jay Electronica – Eternal Sunshine (The Pledge)
2. Jay Electronica – Victory In My Clutches
3. Zed Bias (Feat. Jay Electronica & Ghost1) – Cauldron
4. Jay Electronica – Exhibit C
5. Reflection Eternal (Feat. Jay Electronica & J Cole) – Just Begun
6. Nneka (Feat. Jay Electronica) – Walking (J. Period Remix)
7. Jay Electronica – Exhibit A
8. Jay Electronica – Hagler
9. Erykah Badu – Aggitation
10. Erykah Badu – Don’t B Long
11. Jay Electronica – I Feel Good
12. Steely Dan – Hey Nineteen
13. Allen Toussaint – Go Back Home
14. Jean-Jacques Perrey – E.V.A.
15. Jay Electronica – Candyman
I fronted hard on “Exhibit C” from day one, but the Gilles Peterson interview quickly changed my tune about that song. To me, the beat for “Exhibit C” sounded like something that Jay-Z should’ve rapped to, would’ve totally ruined for me, and would’ve turned into a Top 10 pop chart hit. But in the hands of Jay Electronica, “Exhibit C” was a song that I could actually like. I know, hard to believe, right!?!!